Thursday, February 23, 2012

Guns: Menace or Hero?


This week I for the first time since open carrying (carrying a gun on my side, legal in some states including NC) I had a situation where it was almost brought into play.

I am a huge gun rights supporter and believe more law abiding citizens needs guns, but this even really shook me to my core and gave me first hand experience why a handgun can be a hero more than a menace.

My wife and I were driving past a 60 year old (or so) gentleman who seemed to be scared of another man who was around 20 or so. As we drove past we could tell that a fight may be about to break out and slowed down to see if we needed to get out of the car. As we watched looking back the younger man starting beating the older man with a baseball bat in the middle of the road.

By the time we could turn around and jumped out there were nearly 10 cars all watching and no one getting out of the car to help stop this. I was about 7 car lengths away and ran up while calling 911. An officer arrived right and I was getting close and the operator told me not to get any closer the officer would handle it.

Yet I had just seen a man laying flat on his back in the middle of the road being beat with a baseball bat. I could not tell how injured the older man was, but the situation leads me to believe it was serious.

If I was closer could I have stopped this with my gun. Convinced the younger man to stop? What is the other cars carried a handgun and they were able to stop this?

We are law abiding citizens and people of character are the ones who need to be carrying handguns. Our federal, state, and local governments somehow cannot figure out an elementary school economics problem.

If you make a law forbidding guns in a city (like Chicago), government building, school, or bank the only people who have the power and responsibility of handguns are people who are breaking the law. This doesn't fix the problem or guns being dangerous and being used to harm people. Laws only stop law abiding citizens from bringing a gun into a bank. By definition a law abiding citizen will not use a gun to rob a bank! So the next time you hear of a bank being robbed at gun point, or the slaughter of dozens of people at a school shooting, think how it may have gone if every teacher, bank teller, and law abiding citizen was carrying a handgun.

If everyone was carrying a gun I believe that the world would be a safer place, and criminals would think twice before threatening other peoples life because they know that other people are also armed.

Would love to hear your thoughts on it.

The Bantam Voice
"Freed People Free People"

No comments:

Post a Comment